When it comes to straightening your teeth, advanced dentistry has evolved itself to introduce more than one option for the best results.
Naturally, traditional braces were the go-to choice for straightening your teeth, but now the availability of Invisalign has raised the question as to which is the best alternative to straighten teeth.
It can naturally be a difficult choice because there are pros and cons for both Invisalign vs Braces. With the help of your dentist, along with research, it will help you make the right choice. What is important is to determine which orthodontic problem you’re experiencing, and which form of treatment is most suitable to resolve it.
So, let’s begin to determine which is the better alternative for you between Invisalign vs Braces.
Invisalign vs Braces – What Are They?
Both Invisalign and braces are designed to straighten teeth. Traditional braces have been around for many years, with Invisalign peeping through as a more than suitable alternative.
Traditional braces comprise metal brackets and wires that are connected together and attached to the front surface of your teeth. Invisalign are clear transparent aligners made from BPA thermoplastic material that is removable and invisible. It is a better choice if you love to show off your smile.
Invisalign vs Braces – What Are The Pros And Cons?
The information you’ve been waiting for. Let’s break down the pros and cons of Invisalign vs Braces.
The Pros Of Invisalign
- The Aligners Are Removable – Sometimes, when traditional get uncomfortable, it is a feeling you’d need to deal with. Also, when it comes to eating food, debris can get stuck in your braces, making them hard to clean. With Invisalign, they are removable and don’t need to be worn all the time, especially when it’s time to eat.
- Easier To Clean – When removing the aligners, you may continue to brush and floss your teeth as normal. You will also be required to clean the aligners before you put them back in to avoid bacteria build-up.
- Comfortable To Wear – You’re unlikely to experience mouth and gum problems with Invisalign once they settle. The aligners are designed to fit snug in the mouth, unlike braces which can be difficult to get accustomed to.
The Cons Of Invisalign
- Removing Them Can Impact The Treatment Plan – It is important that you avoid removing the aligners regularly. The aligners need to be worn for 22 hours in the day. Only remove them when you need to eat, drink or brush your teeth.
- The Cost – Invisalign is more expensive compared to traditional braces. Invisalign are a custom option, therefore, depending on the problem you need to treat, it can work out to be very costly.
- Maintain Discipline – It is important that you become accustomed to Invisalign quickly to avoid removing them whenever you feel uncomfortable. This can be difficult to do, Check out this post as you might be interested in learning how do invisalign works.
The Cons Of Traditional Braces
- The Aesthetic Look – Many people naturally don’t like braces due to how it makes them feel, which impact self-confidence. This may be the case for you as well. The braces aren’t considered aesthetically pleasing.
- Difficulty Brushing – Brushing your teeth isn’t as easy with braces. This is because when food gets stuck, it can form dental plaque build-up around the braces. This can lead to staining and tooth decay.
- Regular Dental Visits – The dentist will want to check on progress and adjust the braces frequently. This can result in feeling some discomfort, but it’s necessary so the teeth continue to be pushed in as part of your treatment plan.
The Pros Of Traditional Braces
- The Results Are Accurate – Traditional braces have proven to deliver better and faster results than Invisalign. The braces force teeth to move into their projected position faster. With Invisalign, the treatment takes longer.
- Fixes All Dental Issues – A key benefit to traditional braces is they can resolve multiple dental issues that may need correcting. This is because of the anchors with the braces that pull the teeth in place.
Invisalign vs Braces – Which Is The Best Alternative?
Straight teeth are something that everyone aspires to have. Although, choosing between aesthetics and results is what can sway a decision. If you need help on deciding whether to choose Invisalign or traditional braces, consult your family dentist and begin your journey to a straight and shiny smile! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to My Family Dental clinics in Emerald, Bowen, Innisfail, Townsville, Ingham and Bohle Plains.